Welcome



This is my tennis blog, Lefty Advantage. Tennis is my biggest passion in life and I started this site to discuss the great game. I mainly follow the career of Roger Federer, but I truly love watching all tennis, whether it be the final of a Grand Slam
or a junior tournament on the other side of the world.

I have played tennis for 13 years. If you ever met me, I could talk your head off about all things tennis for hours on end if you would let me. Welcome, and enjoy the writing!

Thursday, March 07, 2013

Indian Wells: Federer gets tough draw

If Roger Federer wants to retain his Indian Wells title from a year ago, it will take a great load of great play as his work has been cut out for him with a formidable draw in the first Masters 1000 of the year.

If the seedings uphold, then Roger will have to go through Denis Istomin, Julien Benneteau, John Isner (or Stan Wawrinka), Rafael Nadal, David Ferrer (or Tomas Berdych), and then either Andy Murray or Novak Djokovic. And you thought his draw last year of Kudla, Raonic, Bellucci, del Potro, Nadal, and Isner was rough.

It is a hard draw but it could be exactly what Roger needs right now - that mental edge and sharpness to keep him at his best at all times - which he may need to do if he wants to make his first final of 2013. Historically, Fed seems to enjoy the challenge of having tough draws and I believe it helps him stay strong. For example, he had a hard path to the semis at the Australian Open and he played his first four matches very strongly knowing that he could be given some danger.

I do believe that Roger can make the final of the tournament but it is really all up to his level of play. Benneteau would be a big mental test after the loss in Rotterdam but the Maestro should get up for that should it happen. Isner or Wawrinka could be tricky 4th round opponents and we know both of them can push Roger. The big match is the one against Nadal, which I'm sure the ATP is hoping to see happen. Roger beat him last year in the semis and he'd probably have to play at or near the same level to win again. The semis would be easier against Ferrer than Berdych (obviously), but Fed would still be the favourite against the Czech and it would be an intriguing match even though I know many of you Fed fans out there don't want to see it.

One factor for Fed could be his #2 ranking. He could lose it to Murray if the Scot makes the final and Roger doesn't make the semis. If Andy wins the title, it's his automatically. It could be a little added motivation for Fed to see that he at least makes the semis which would force Andy to win it all - not an easy task when facing a red-hot Djokovic in the semis potentially. Speaking of which...

The man to beat in the tournament is clearly Djokovic and I can't see him not making the final. He is the big favourite to win the title but I hope Roger has something to say about that when the final weekend rolls around!

I'm hoping for a good week from the Maestro. It would be so nice to see him have a great tournament before his long break, and he should give it his all, knowing what's at stake.

Enjoy the tennis from California!

No comments:

Post a Comment